- Wood Finishing Oil Guide
- How To Apply Wood Finishing Oil:
- How To Maintain Wood Finishing Oil:
- Behlen Rockhard Table Top Varnish
- Pure Tung Oil Finish
- How To Apply Tung Oil For a Wood Finish:
- Teak Oil Finish
- How To Apply Teak Oil As A Wood Finish:
- McCloskey Spar Varnish
- Watco Danish Oil
- How To Apply Watco Danish Oil:
- Liberon Products Wood Finishing Oil
- How To Apply Liberon Wood Finishing Oil:
- Maintenance or Liberon Finishing Oil:
- Gunstock Oil (fine solid wood gunstock oil):
- How to Apply & Maintain Gunstock Wood Finishing Oil:
Wood Finishing Oil Guide
The best Wood Finishing Oil is usually a high quality all-natural, wood finishing oil. Most wood finishing oil is recommended for use on all types of wood finishing projects, including wood furniture, turned wood, toys, crafts and other interior surfaces such as kitchen work tops, wood cabinets, paneling, tables, cork, stone, wood floors and many other porous surfaces.
If you are looking for a superior oil in finish clarity, try a pure tung oil base with no cheap “filler” oils or driers added. A good finishing oil is usually a deep penetrating, durable, food safe, oil that is resistant to water, heat, alcohol and food acids. Also read: Wood Finishes Guide
How To Apply Wood Finishing Oil:
It is fairly easy to apply most wood finishing oils. Below is a simple guide applicable to most wood oils, although make sure you check out oil specific application guides.
- Apply Wood Finishing Oil liberally with a lint free cotton cloth and/or brush to a clean surface.
- Allow Wood Finishing Oil to penetrate for about 15 minutes and remove excess with a lint free cotton cloth.
- Do NOT allow Wood Finishing Oil to dry before removing excess finishing oil. We recommend 3 coats of Wood Finishing Oil, waiting 24 hours between each coat.
- Additional coats of Wood Finishing Oil will increase surface protection and sheen.
- For best results and to create a silky smooth wood surface, rub lightly with No.5 Extra Fine Steel Wool between each Wood Finishing Oil application.
- Applying a coat of traditional paste wax or an all-natural beeswax paste after the final coat of Wood Finishing Oil will further enhance the wood, adding depth and additional surface protection.
How To Maintain Wood Finishing Oil:
- Dust with a soft dry cloth or slightly damp cloth.
- Apply a fresh coat of Wood Finishing Oil as needed
Behlen Rockhard Table Top Varnish
Rockhard Table Varnish is a high quality natural resin varnish and ideal for hand application. This is the recommended coating when you need a finish to produce a very durable, hard surface. Rockhard Table Varnish is abrasive resistant, will not scratch white, and offers maximum resistance to water, alcohol, food stains, chemicals, detergents, and other damaging liquids.
Although highly recommended as a table top varnish, Behlen’s Rockhard Table Top Varnish is perfect for a variety of other uses, such as wooden chairs, benches, desks, dressers, chest of drawers, vanities, bookcases, and many more.
Rockhard Table Varnish is self sealing and will dry dust free in about 4 hours, dry to handle in 14 hours. Recoat in 14 hours. Depending on environmental conditions and thickness of finish applied, allow Rockhard Varnish to dry 72 to 96 hours before rubbing. For interior use only.
There are a number of size and price options, check detailed prices and sizes on Amazon
back to menu ↑
Pure Tung Oil Finish
An ideal Tung Oil is an all-natural, non-toxic, food safe wood finish, containing NO VOC’s. Pure Tung Oil is a natural polymerizing wood finish with a nutty odor and should contain no thinners, driers or any additives. Pure and Simple! Tung Oil provides a durable protective barrier against water, stain resistant, food acid resistant, mar resistant and a flexible wood finish that will not mold.
Pure Tung Oil is a durable all natural wood finish, and perfect for interior wood surfaces such as wood floors, cabinets, paneling, wood furniture and children’s toys. Tung Oil is an excellent choice when an all-natural wood finish is needed for kitchen surfaces such as wood counter tops, chopping blocks, wood bowls, tables, etc.
Pure Tung Oil is also revered for it’s natural aesthetic and performance on exterior wood surfaces, such as garden furniture, wooden decks, doors, etc. For wood surfaces where preserving the natural beauty of the wood is paramount, Tung Oil will accentuate, preserve and protect, without obscuring the woods natural beauty. Pure Tung Oil builds quickly and when dry, produces a beautiful protective matt finish.
When Tung Oil is used on interior finishes, it provides a classic natural hand rubbed look that is further enhanced by the application of a paste wax, all-natural beeswax paste or liquid wax, which will increase wood depth and surface protection.
How To Apply Tung Oil For a Wood Finish:
- Apply Pure Tung Oil liberally with a lint free cloth, brush or hand to a clean, dry and dust free wood surface. For ease of application and better Tung Oil penetration, thin up to 50% with citrus solvent, mineral spirits or turpentine.If your wanting to maintain an all natural environmentally friendly and food safe finish, we recommend using citrus solvent.
- Allow Tung Oil to penetrate for 30-40 minutes and wipe surface dry with a clean lint free cloth.
- DO NOT allow Tung Oil to dry on surface before wiping dry.
- We recommend 4-6 coats depending on surface use.
- Maintain with a light coat of Tung Oil 1-2 times a year or as needed.
back to menu ↑
Teak Oil Finish
The best teak oil to use should be an all-natural, non-toxic premium Teak Oil, (make sure it contains NO petroleum distillates).
Teak Oil is suitable for all exterior/ interior exotic woods, such as teak wood, rosewood and iroko. UV-resistant Teak Oil beautifies, nourishes and protects from deep within the teak wood pores, providing a protective Teak Oil barrier against water, stains and abrasions, while accentuation the wood grain with a warm rich appearance.
Teak Oil is ideal for use on fine garden furniture, teak decks and all on board boat teak. Teak oil will restore, preserve and protect the natural teak wood color, while protecting against fading associated with sunlight.
TotalBoat Teak Oil preserves and protects teak wood plus other hardwoods and softwoods including mahogany
How To Apply Teak Oil As A Wood Finish:
Applying teak oil to your furniture for a great finish is fairly easy. Try our 7 easy steps to applying teak oil.
- Step 1: Apply teak oil liberally with a lint free cloth, brush and/or spray onto a clean wood surface.
- Step 2: Allow teak oil to penetrate for about 15 minutes and then wipe away excess teak oil (completely).
- Step 3: Do NOT allow teak oil to dry before removing the excess teak oil.
- Step 4: We recommend applying 2-3 coats of teak oil, waiting up to 24 hours between each coat.
- Step 5: Additional coats of teak oil may be required if teak wood has been neglected or is extremely dry.
- Step 6: For best results and to create a silky smooth surface, rub lightly with a synthetic pads or with No.5 Extra Fine Steel Wool between coats of teak oil.
- Step 7: Reapply Teak Oil 1-2 times a year.
Kit contains everything needed to clean, restore and protect teak in one convenient package Each kit contains Premium Teak Cleaner, Premium Teak Brightener and Premium Golden Teak Oil
back to menu ↑
McCloskey Spar Varnish
McCloskey Man O’ War Spar Varnish is the strongest name in clear wood protection. Use McCloskey Spar Varnish on interior and exterior wood surfaces to protect and beautify for years to come. McCloskey Man O’ War Spar Varnish is a very easy to apply, tung oil base marine spar varnish that provides maximum ultraviolet (UV) protection to wood. Man O’ War Spar Varnish can be used on indoor or outdoor wood surfaces, and is especially well suited for marine applications such as teak and mahogany on boats, exterior doors, window sills and outdoor furniture.
Watco Danish Oil
Watco Danish Oil is a unique blend of penetrating oil and wood varnish that hardens in the wood, not on the wood. Watco Danish Oil penetrates deep into wood pores to protect from within and enhance the natural beauty of the wood.
Watco Danish Oil creates the rich, warm glow of a traditional hand-rubbed oil finish. Many projects can be completed in less than an hour when using Watco Danish Oil – simply brush or wipe on and wipe off. Watco Danish Oil is the choice of fine woodworkers, cabinetmakers and novices alike.
- Indoor use only [not recommended for floors]
- Stain, Seals, & Protects in one easy step
- Will not crack, chip, or peel
- Easy, Wipe-On Application!
- Covers 100-150 sq. ft. per quart
How To Apply Watco Danish Oil:
- Use Watco Danish Oil on dry wood from which all previous coatings have been removed. Sand wood smooth as needed and wipe clean.
- Test for color on a hidden section of wood before applying Watco Danish Oil.
- Flood surface using brush or cloth, applying additional finish to areas that absorb all of the liquid.
- After 30 minutes, reapply liberal amount of Watco Danish Oil.
- After an additional 15 minutes penetration, wipe wood completely dry. Ready for use in 8-10 hours.
Liberon Products Wood Finishing Oil
Liberon Finishing Oil is blend of high-quality oils for finishing wood surfaces, requiring a hard wearing natural finishing oil.
Finishing Oil is water, heat, alcohol and food resistant, and Liberon Finishing Oil is quick drying, low odor and an easy finishing oil to apply. Ideal for kitchens and bathrooms, Liberon Finishing Oil is also suitable for other wood surfaces that are used daily. Liberon Finishing Oil contains pure tung oil, and may be applied to cork, stone and terracotta.
How To Apply Liberon Wood Finishing Oil:
- Ensure the surface to be oiled is bare:
- Remove any wax finishes, prior to applying Liberon Finishing Oil, with Wax & Polish Remover and for varnish finishes a good wood stripper.
- Clean, dry and ensure the surface is dust free, before applying Liberon Finishing Oil.
- Shake Liberon Finishing Oil well before use.
- Apply a coat of Liberon Finishing Oil using a brush or lint-free cotton cloth.
- Allow the finishing oil to penetrate for up to 10 minutes then wipe off excess, before, the surface dries and becomes sticky.
- Allow Liberon Finishing Oil to dry for a minimum of 5 hours, before applying additional finishing oil.
- We recommend applying 3 coats of Liberon Finishing Oil as a minimum.
- Applying more coats of Liberon Finishing Oil will increase sheen and durability.
- For best results gently rub Liberon Finishing Oil with extra fine steel wool between coats.
Maintenance or Liberon Finishing Oil:
A Liberon Finishing Oil surface may be cleaned using a damp cloth and spills should be wiped up immediately. For stubborn stains a mild detergent can be used.
Apply a fresh coat of Liberon Finishing Oil once a year or more, depending upon usage.back to menu ↑
Gunstock Oil (fine solid wood gunstock oil):
Gunstock Oil is a handmade premium gunstock finishing oil that penetrates deep into the wood pores, providing excellent water resistance while enhancing the natural beauty of the wood gunstock. It is a tough all-natural classic gunstock oil and the clearest oil available. Gunstock Oil will not chip, cloud or yellow.
How to Apply & Maintain Gunstock Wood Finishing Oil:
- For best results, remove dirt, old wax and polish with Wax & Polish Remover prior to applying Gunstock Oil.
- For finishing or touch up, apply Gunstock Oil liberally with a soft cloth.
- Allow Gunstock Oil to penetrate for about 15 minutes and then remove excess oil.
- Let dry and repeat 3 or more times.
- Create a silky smooth gunstock finish by rubbing between coats with No. 5 Extra Fine Steel Wool.
- Applying a coat of Gunstock Wax after the final coat of Gunstock Oil will further enhance the gunstock, adding depth and additional wood protection.